11 Ju1y 2019
Subject: Minutes of Board Meeting
- The Meeting was opened by President Vicki Edwards at 7:00 PM, at 9803 S. 21 st Circle, Bellevue NE. With 5 of 5 directors present, a quorum of the Board did exist.
- Attendance at the Meeting included:
George Ziska, Jr.
- The minutes of the meeting held on 9 May 2019, were approved.
- Treasurer’s Report: Treasurer Janelle Smith provided following status, as of 30 Jun 19: Great Western Checking Account: $34,085.76; Fidelity Money Market Account: $45,600.03. Board concurred with the Secretary’s recommendation to transfer $25,000 from the checking account to the money market account for earning interest.
- Finance Director’s Report: The following items were discussed: A. Al Cans for 2 X 4’s: No new developments.
- 2019 Financial Plan: To date, 108.2% of our $70,000 goal has been raised.
- Raffle, Oct-Nov 19: The prizes will be included $300 in store certificates from the Papillion Pizza Ranch and $45 in gift cards from the Bellevue Outback Steakhouse, for a total of $345. Per last year’s arrangement, the Pizza Ranch will provided $150 in certificates and the Crew will buy $150 in certificates. The Crew would prefer that the Pizza Ranch certificates not expire until at least June 2020. The raffle ticket price will remain $5. The 5 raffle prizes: (l) first 4 prizes from Papillion Pizza Ranch: I st: $100; 2nd. $80; Yd: $70; 4th: $50 and (2) the 5th prize from Bellevue Outback: $45 plus 2 appetizer cards. The drawing was set for 6 PM, Thurs, 21 Nov 19 (1 week before Thanksgiving).
- Church of the Nativity, Burke, VA: Collection in Jan 2020.
- Bowl-a-thon: Set for Mar 2020.
- Based on the 2019 home costs, the 2020 Fundraising Goal was again set at $70,000. A more detailed financial plan for 2020, with projected sources of income will be provided at the next meeting.
- Other Ideas: We are still looking for other income sources for 2020. The Secretary received a brochure in the mail from the World’s Big Sleep Out Trust of Edinbrugh, Scotland, where people around the world are sponsored to sleep out on the night of 7 Dec 19, with half the fundraising going to the Crew and the other half going to fighting world homelessness. Considering the possible cold weather in December and the trust that would have to be put in this event organization, those present did not consider this to be viable option. Finance Director Ron Strawn brought up the idea of applying for the annual Omaha Gives fundraiser but the Crew would not be eligible since at least 50 percent of the charity work would have to be local.
- Old Business:
- Update of Membership Roster: President Vicki Edwards requested that her land line phone number be deleted.
- VA Connection (Bob Corsi): No new developments.
- Crew Website ( http://www.accrew.org ): The Secretary provided Webmaster Kathi Narlock with a flash drive that included 573 photos of the 2019 deployment for selecting photos for the website.
- Colorado (CO) Connection (Corey Cinabro): No new developments.
- Volunteer Recruitment in Bellevue: No new developments.
- 2019 Deployment (Work starts on Thurs, 30 May 19): With delivery of appliances and beds, the Kates Family moved into their new home on 24 Jun 19. The Construction Director reviewed a home cost comparison of the last 9 homes built with Harry Wallace. Questions on the 2019 costs were sent to Kay Morrow, Good Shepherd Treasurer, but a response has not been received yet. The new P.O.C. for Lowe’s in Somerset, KY, is Yuonne Pruitt, phone no. 606-3414959. Tim Clark, the new heating and A/C subcontractor, worked out well. Electrician James Sumner is retiring after the Kates home. Some lessons learned: (l) If the Crew does the laminate flooring next year, we need substitute a I X 4 rather than a 2 x 4 under the interior door headers to allow more room for the flooring under the door frames and ensure that Lumber King provides flooring of all the same lot. (2) More care needs to be taken in cutting drywall around electrical boxes, to avoid repairing the gaps which was required on 4 boxes after we left the site.
- New Business:
- 2020 Deployment (Work Starts on Thurs, 28 May 20):
(l) Berthing: The Construction Director made reservations at St. Joseph’s Inn from Wed, 27 May to Wed, 10 Jun 20.
(2) Family: Good Shepherd Chapel has selected Jonathan and Heather Marler and their three children, Sierra, Jerry and James, to receive our 2020 home, which will be located at 205 Jones Road, Whitley City, KY 43653. Jonathan works as wood stacker and Heather works at Kroger’s. The existing trailer has a leaking roof and rotting floor. We will not be installing a electric tankless water heater to reduce the foundation wall height due a second 200A panel would be required but will be installing the roof edge recommended by Framing/Roofing Crew Leader Bob Corsi, that is available at Home Depot. With the recommended home site between the existing trailer and Jones Road, grading and foundation walls are expected to be similar to 2019.
- Trailer Repair: The trailer is currently at Predator Trailers in Papillion for replacing the axle, hub and bearing on the left rear wheel. Additional repairs include repacking the bearings on the other 3 wheels, checking the brakes and disconnect battery and welding two cracks in the right fender.
- Install Flooring: Currently requesting an estimate from the local flooring subcontractor to do all the laminate flooring and the flooring in the bedrooms for a comparison with the Crew doing the laminate flooring, as done in 2019.
- Crew Shirts: We are down to only 1 XL shirt. Secretary plans to order 12 shirts from JoDon’s (2016 cost: $20) in the following sizes: XL: 3; L: 6; M: 3.
- Harry Wallace’s Condition: Harry had his cancerous thyroid removed on 28 Jun 19, with a 5 to 10 day recovery time.
- The Crew Meeting was adjourned at 8:00 PM and the next Meeting was set for 7:00 PM, Thursday, 8 Aug 19, at 9803 21 st Circle.
George Ziska Jr.